• Fri. Jun 2nd, 2023


    The interesting information for you and your family

    Grieving mum ‘failed’ at Coventry University Hospital

    ByMonelo Gabriel

    Mar 31, 2023

    A grieving mother has said she feels “failed” by Coventry University Hospital, whose representatives “did not bother to meet face to face” after her son’s death. Naomi Rees-Issitt, 43, lost her son Jamie Rees, 18, on January 5 last year after she went into cardiac arrest at a friend’s house on New Year’s Eve.

    Jamie, who had been watching the fireworks that night, suffered oxygen starvation to the brain after waiting more than 17 minutes for an ambulance. Although a police officer arrived on the scene first, he did not have access to a defibrillator and the nearest machine at Ashlawn School, two minutes from where Jamie collapsed, was locked inside the building.

    Since the tragic incident, Ms Rees and her family, who live in Rugby, established the OurJay Foundation to raise funds to provide 24/7 accessible defibrillators to the public. This week they installed their 43rd defibrillator, stored in a weatherproof box and accessible via a PIN code that can be obtained in seconds by calling 999.

    READ MORE: Birmingham council tenant wraps house in insults, saves 90 percent on bills

    Ms Rees spoke at the West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) board meeting on Wednesday, where she has appeared several times since establishing OurJay, and praised the service for its continued support. Ms Rees contrasted this with the lack of care shown by Coventry hospital, which she had contacted following the outcome of the patient inquiry into Jamie’s death.

    Jamie Rees when he was younger, with his older brother Callum. Credit: Naomi Rees-Issitt.(Image: Naomi Rees-Issitt.)

    A key point showed that the time it took to transfer a patient’s care from the ambulance service to the hospital was partly to blame for the death. Ms Rees told LDRS: “The ambulance service basically had their hands tied because although they are the front line staff and have ambulances outside the hospital, the main reason is that they cannot transfer the patient to the emergency department.” . .”

    He explained that the family contacted the hospital because they wanted their opinion on the situation and more information on what is leading to the delays, but did not hear back until more than a year after Jamie’s death. The hospital invited Ms. Rees and the Foundation to a Microsoft Teams meeting where two representatives offered them the opportunity to come in and meet the staff.


    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *