Liverpool’s Diogo Jota and Palace’s Jean-Philippe Mateta saw first-half efforts denied by the woodwork, while Mohamed Salah rocked the crossbar shortly after the restart.

The locals put pressure on Jurgen Klopp’s men, but were unable to take advantage of a series of set pieces in an evening that started slowly under the lights, but accelerated after the break.

The Reds were unable to recover from their Champions League thrashing of Real Madrid four days ago with victory, while the result marked the fifth draw of the new year for Palace, who remain in search of their first win of 2023.

Liverpool’s 7-0 win at Selhurst Park in December 2020 was their biggest Premier League away win.

Klopp’s team had already scored at minute 3 of that match, but at minute 10 neither of them had managed to finish off on goal, Liverpool approaching when Cody Gakpo fed Salah on the edge of the area, the Egyptian could only roll. a deflected effort from the right post.

The visitors deflected the danger when Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joel Matip lost control of the ball deep into their own half and Mateta sprang up, goalkeeper Alisson Becker reacting quickly to make a critical block.

Crystal Palace's Jean-Philippe Mateta reacts to a missed opportunity
Crystal Palace’s Jean-Philippe Mateta reacts to a missed opportunity (John Walton/PA).

The rojiblancos came back up the pitch, the ball hit several touches before landing in front of Jota in a space on the edge of the area, but the forward sent a volley shot straight into the arms of the Palacio Vicente Guaita goalkeeper.

Both teams soon wasted set pieces. Jota headed a 20-foot shot off a post before Guehi headed in Michael Olise’s free-kick just wide.

Liverpool won another free kick in a dangerous position when Nathaniel Clyne was booked for his sliding challenge on Jota.

Alexander-Arnold stepped forward and sent an effort into the top right corner, but was thwarted by his own teammate when the ball deflected off Jordan Henderson.

Palace were quick to lose a fine chance of their own when Olise sent a cross from the right narrowly missing the head of target Jeffrey Schlupp.

Mohamed Salah fights for the ball with Tyrick Mitchell
Mohamed Salah fights for the ball with Tyrick Mitchell (John Walton/PA).

Salah tried to put his name on the scoresheet with a solo effort, picking up the ball inside his own half and, after a clean move to bring him down, broke free before Guaita blocked.

Palace were then inches from scoring the opener when, just before halftime, Schlupp stripped Alexander-Arnold and crossed to Mateta, who rattled the woodwork.

The second half began as the first ended, Salah next to be parried off the crossbar with a curling effort into the top left corner.

Palace increased the pressure, Jordan Ayew first firing over the top before Henderson blocked Olise’s shot from the right on the edge of the box.

Jordan Henderson applauds the fans at the final whistle
Jordan Henderson applauds the fans at the final whistle (John Walton/PA).

The England man was booked, but the hosts were unable to do anything with the resulting free kick.

It was a quieter second half overall, as both sides remained in the hunt for an opener.

A careless turnover could have cost the hosts when Salah flicked the ball to Gakpo, who was parried away by a Guaita slip, while Liverpool fended off another free kick from the edge of the box.

At times both teams seemed minutes away from a second-half breakthrough, but the Reds successfully defended two set pieces late in stoppage time to ensure they remained level at the final whistle.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *