Leyton Orient came from behind to earn a point against Grimsby at Blundell Park.

Charlie Kelman dismissed the League Two leaders in front, only to see the hosts score twice in quick succession after half-time.

Substitute George Moncur then leveled things once more and Lawrence Vigouroux saved a penalty to ensure the points were split.

Kelman entered the starting eleven to replace the injured Aaron Drinan, in the only change from the previous weekend.

And Idris El Mizouni, seven days after his winner against Crawley Town, had a first-minute shot blocked by the home defense before Max Crocombe collected the ball.

Kelman played in Kieran Sadlier within four minutes, but his low shot was saved by Crocombe, while Alex Hunt sliced ​​up Grimsby’s first chance moments later.

More good set-up play from O’s ended with Tom James seeing a dangerous-looking cross directed towards Crocombe by Michee Efete, before the breakthrough came on 25 minutes when Ruel Sotiriou picked for Kelman and he produced a fine first touch, before to shoot. home.

The visitors had to weather a rushing streak from the Mariners around the half-hour mark, then broke through the numbers just before halftime and saw a blocked Sadlier cross.

Gavan Holohan shot harmlessly wide in stoppage time as the O’s remained in front at half-time, but the hosts were level again early in the second half, when John McAtee converted from close range.

And things took a turn for the worse for O’s on 52 minutes when George Lloyd converted a loose pass and beat Vigouroux to put Grimsby ahead.

Vigouroux saved Anthony Driscoll-Glennon, before Richie Wellens made a triple switch, sending out Darren Pratley, George Moncur and Adam Thompson for Craig Clay, Sadlier and James.

YO’s came close to leveling out by the time Kelman broke through and found Theo Archibald, whose diving effort went wildly wide.

Only an impressive tackle from Niall Maher prevented Kelman from escaping on goal after exploiting a loose pass, but the visitors made things right after a long delay when Luke Waterfall went down as Sotiriou chased the ball and found Moncur, who produced a great auction. in the lower corner.

And when Grimsby were awarded a penalty with a quarter of an hour to go, Vigouroux made an excellent save to his left to avoid Driscoll-Glennon’s penalty.

Mizouni went down with a head injury in the 83rd minute, but was able to continue after receiving some treatment, before Kelman made way for Paul Smyth in a late exchange.

And Smyth saw a sustained effort from Crocombe, after finding space on the left, for seven minutes of stoppage time as the honors ended level.

Leyton Orient: Vigouroux, James (Thompson 56), Clay (Pratley 56), Sotiriou, Archibald, El Mizouni, Beckles, Kelman (Smyth 86), Sweeney, Sadlier (Moncur 56), Turns. Unused substitutes: Byrne, Ogie, Sodje.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *