People who live near a main Nottinghamshire road are “not surprised” that it has seen the most violations captured by the county’s average speed cameras. Data from Nottinghamshire Police has revealed the worst roads in terms of the average number of speed camera offenses recorded over the past three years.
The cameras work by monitoring the driver’s speed along a stretch of road, unlike other speed cameras that capture it in a single flash. Mobile speed cameras or police officers can catch people speeding.
Data from Nottinghamshire Police, released following a freedom of information request, shows that one of Nottingham’s main roads has seen the most speed camera violations. Cameras on the A610 Nuthall Road between Stockhill Lane and Bar Lane, where there is a 30mph speed limit, recorded almost 2,000 violations during 2022.
What three words would you use to describe Nottinghamshire? Give us your opinion here
This figure has been much higher in previous years, with the same stretch of road seeing around 2,800 violations in 2021 and around 2,700 violations in 2020. Although not always the specific section between Stockhill Lane and Bar Lane, Nuthall Road has recorded highest average speed. camera offenses in Nottinghamshire over the last three years.
People who live just off Nuthall Road say they often see “dangerous” drivers along it. Valerie Whalley, 61, said: “You wouldn’t think there’s actually a speed limit on this road because there are so many kamikaze drivers on it.
“A lot of people are in too much of a hurry to get to wherever they’re going and so they rush through traffic lights. I’ve lived here since 1995 and the road now is just ridiculous, it’s actually widened a bit.” years ago, so he’s very busy.
The section of Nuthall Road between Stockhill Lane and Bar Lane turns out to be one of the places where Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner Caroline Henry was caught speeding in early 2021. The commissioner recorded a speed of 40mph at along the highway on March 18, 2021., with four other offences, meaning he received a six-month driving ban after a court hearing last May.
Given its proximity to the M1 and Nottingham city centre, many local residents noted that the amount of traffic on Nuthall Road was also a factor in the number of speeding offenses recorded on it. William Newman, 72, said: “You definitely see a lot of idiots driving fast and I didn’t know this was the worst road for speeding but it’s very busy.
“I’ve lived here for about 40 years and it’s always been a major artery. Obviously there’s a 30mph limit here and yet some people drive on it like it’s the highway.”
Francesco De Vivo, 70, said: “It doesn’t surprise me that this road is the worst for speeding. It’s obviously very busy because you’re close to Nottingham center and the motorway, so exiting onto Nuthall Road it’s really hard sometimes.
“The only time it was quiet here was obviously during the lockdown. But as soon as the restrictions were lifted, the traffic was back to normal and now the speeding is probably worse.”
Below are the top ten roads in Nottinghamshire in terms of the average number of speed camera offenses recorded in 2022. The figures do not reflect how many offenses ultimately led to a fine or penalty points being issued.
Ten Nottinghamshire roads where most average speed camera offenses were recorded in 2022:
- A610 Nuthall Road, Nottingham – between Stockhill Lane and Bar Lane – 1880 offenses
- A610 Nuthall Road, Nottingham – between Western Boulevard and Bar Lane – 1,616 offenses
- A610 Nuthall Road, Nottingham – between Bells Lane and Stockhill Lane – 1540 offenses
- A60 Mansfield Road, Daybrook – Sir John Robinson Way to Oxclose Lane – 1,416 offenses
- B6004 Northbound Oxclose Lane, Daybrook – near Burford Primary School – 1261 violations
- A60 Mansfield Road, Daybrook – Oxclose Lane to Sir John Robinson Way – 1145 violations
- A6009 Northbound Rosemary Street, Mansfield, between Layton Avenue and Wood Street, 1066 violations
- B6004 Southbound Oxclose Lane, Daybrook – near Burford Elementary School – 1,034 violations
- A610 Nuthall Road, Nottingham – between Bar Lane and Western Boulevard – 1,020 offenses
- A60 Mansfield Road, Woodthorpe – Woodthorpe Drive to Valley Road – 1013 violations